GIS Day Information
Geography Awareness Week is celebrated every third week of November. Every Wednesday of that week has been designated GIS Day. This year, GIS Day is November 13th.
A GIS (Geographic Information System) is a framework for gathering, managing, and analyzing data. Rooted in the science of geography, GIS integrates many types of data. It analyzes spatial location and organizes layers of information into visualizations using maps and 3D scenes. With this unique capability, GIS reveals deeper insights into data, such as patterns, relationships, and situations – helping users make smarter decisions.
Come to the City of Clovis Civic Center on November 13 from 9AM to 3 PM to see maps, take an up-close look at City vehicles that utilize GIS, participate in a Map Quest, and see a drone demonstration. There will also be a map contest with opportunities for students in several divisions: elementary school, intermediate school, high school, and college.
Schedule of Events
9 AM 1st Annual Open House and Map Gallery begins
- Map Quest begins
9 AM-3 PM Map Gallery open in the Council Chambers
- Maps on display in the lobbies of Planning & Development Services, City Hall, and Police & Fire Headquarters
9 AM-12 PM GIS Enabled Vehicles are available for public viewing, with operators who can explain how they use GIS
- Police vehicle, Solid Waste vehicle, Battalion Chief Fire vehicle, Sign & Striping vehicle
1 PM-3 PM GIS Demonstrations
- 1 – 1:30 FireView demonstration by Chad Fitzgerald of the Clovis Fire Department
- 1:30 – 2 PredPol demonstration by Calli Biaggi of the Clovis Police Department
- 2 – 3 Clovis Police Department drone demonstration
2:45 PM Drawing for the winner of the Map Quest
The City of Clovis is holding its first map-making contest. See contest rules here. There are 4 contest divisions:
- Elementary School K-6
- Intermediate School 7-8
- High School 9-12
One winner from each division will be awarded:
- A one-year subscription for Esri’s ArcGIS for Personal Use program
- A printed copy of the map displayed at GIS Day
- A digital copy of the map on the Clovis GIS Day website
There will be two maps on display in each of the three lobbies that make up the City of Clovis City Hall. Visit the lobbies, answer a question about each map, and submit the answer sheet to the GIS Team. One winner will be randomly drawn and will receive a one-year subscription for Esri’s ArcGIS for Personal Use program. Stop by the City Council chambers to receive your quest form.