An image of building plans

Building FAQ

  • A permit is required to build, construct, remodel, repair, demolish, remove or move any house, building or structure.
  • A building permit is not required for the following:
    • One-story detached accessory building used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet.
    • Fences not over 7 feet high. The fence can be wood or block.  Please check with the Planning Department if the fence is to be placed on a corner lot.
    • Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or III-A-liquids.
    • Platforms, walks and driveways not more than 30 inches above grade and not over any basement or story below.
    • Painting, papering and similar finish work.
    • Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R, Division 3 Occupancy in which the pool walls are entirely above the adjacent grade and if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons.

Building inspection files are public records and requests for research can be done by FAX, mail, or in person at the Permit Counter. 

Plans are required and there are specifications that must be met with regards to the materials used and footings.

There are permit and safety requirements that must be met including submitting plans for review. 

Depending on the situation and location, there are different specifications. 

The specifications vary, depending on the size and location of the restroom or drinking fountain. 

  • The permit requirements vary depending on the type of work being performed. A permit fee and special permit is required for remodels or alteration, re-roofs, and several other types of residential work such as installing a retaining wall, hot water heater, air conditioner, or swimming pool or spa. 
  • The permit requirements for new commercial buildings include submitting drawings, plans and calculations that must be wet signed and stamped by a licensed California Architect or Engineer. 
  • Residential: One set for initial submittal.
  • Commercial: Four sets for commercial projects.

Plans are required and covered parking and setback requirements must be met. If the converted garage is going to be used as a bedroom, the conditions of UBC Section 1204 must be adhered. 

  • After you receive a building permit, inspection requests can be called for at (559) 324-2337. 
  • Inspection requests must be made 24 hours in advance so that field personnel can be scheduled.